Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I buy school uniform?

Uniform can be purchased from:

Emblazon of 138 Micklegate,
YO1 6JS.

Back To Top

How do I arrange for my child to have school meals?

The school canteen provides hot and cold meals at lunch time and snacks at morning break. We suggest approximately £2.55 for a hot meal and pudding. At the start of the academic year, Year 7 students initially go to lunch earlier than the rest of the school. They are taken by their subject teacher who will show them how to purchase the food, where to put their bags and address any other concerns. Hot and cold food can be bought. Students must not bring canned fizzy drinks to school. After this initial transition period, Year 7 will then take their turn on the lunchtime rota with Years 8-10.

Back To Top

How do I find out if my child is entitled to free school meals?

Am I eligible?

If you are in receipt of Income Support, Income-based ESA or Income-based Job Seekers allowance you should be entitled to Free School Meals and possibly other educational benefits for your child(ren). You may also be entitled to other educational benefits if you receive child and working tax credits – though this will not include free school meals. In this case you should include a copy of your latest tax credit notice (TC602) with your application. Upon receipt of this evidence City of York Council will assess your eligibility to all educational benefits.

How do I apply?

1. Download and Educational benefits Form online at 

2. Request a form on 01904 551554

Back To Top

How do I report my child’s absence?

Please contact the school on the attendance line: 01904 633300 on the first day of illness as soon as possible after 8.00am and each day thereafter.

If we have not heard from parents on the first day of an absence then our attendance administrator will make telephone contact or send a text message on the same day. Should your child refuse to attend school for any reason please contact the attendance administrator who will liaise with your child’s Head of House to help resolve any issues

Back To Top

If the school is closed due to inclement weather, how will I be informed?

Every effort is made to keep the school open during inclement weather, however, if the decision is made to close the school you will be notified via the following ways:

A message on the school phone, our text messaging service, a message on the school website, Radio York & Minster FM .

If the school has to be closed part way through the day we will send a text to parents informing you that school is closing and that students are being sent home early. It is very important that you keep us updated with any change of mobile number.

Back To Top

Will my child be given homework?

All students including Year 7 are expected to complete homework to deadlines. The amount of time spent on homework increases as they progress through the school. All students are expected to complete homework, but are not expected to spend unreasonable amounts of time doing so. A reasonable length of time to spend on homework in Year 7 would be 20 -30 minutes per individual subject; however this of course can vary as students undertake a wide variety of tasks and projects over the course of the year. Students will be given a homework timetable which will help with organisation.

Back To Top

How will I know if my child has detention?

Lunchtime detentions: will happen with immediate effect and an explanation written in the child’s planner.

Afterschool detentions: a letter/text will be sent informing you a few days in advance of your child’s detention

Back To Top

Does the school provide early morning and after school care?

The school resource centre is open from 08:00 until 16:30 Monday to Friday.

Back To Top

How can I request a meeting with my child’s teacher?

Please contact the school office or your child’s Head of House if you would like to arrange an appointment with a subject teacher. We will get back to you with a mutually convenient date and time. Parent evenings/Progress reviews are held throughout the school year when you will be given the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress.

Back To Top

If my child has additional needs, how can we access relevant support?

If you have any concerns regarding your child’s progress, please contact Mr D. Bodey, Deputy Headteacher, or Mrs A. Mehta, SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator).

Please follow the link to access our range of Policies which guide our work with pupils who have additional needs.

Back To Top